Vaiga death: Sanu Mohan brought to Kochi, police to address media at 11 am

Kochi: Sanu Mohan who was absconding after his daughter’s mysterious death was nabbed by police from Karwar in Karnataka yesterday and was brought to Kochi at about 4.14 am on Monday.

He had fled to Udupi in a private bus from Kollur the other day and then moved to Karwar. The police team nabbed him from there on Sunday morning. Currently, the police team is interrogating Sanu Mohan.

The arrest of Sanu Mohan was recorded officially and the Covid test and related medical tests would be done soon.  He will be taken to the city police commissioner’s office and the city police commissioner along with the DCP will address a joint press conference at 11 in the morning.

The probe team had left from Kochi after they learnt that Sanu Mohan is staying in Kollur.  The police team focussed on Karnataka after confirming that Sanu Mohan had stayed in a lodge near Kollur Mookambika temple for six days. Meanwhile, his car was found from Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.

The staff of the lodge informed the police that Sanu Mohan had stayed in there from April 10 to 16 morning. As he behaved decently, they were not suspicious. He also offered to pay the rent through card payment while vacating.

On April 16, Sanu Mohan asked the staff to get a taxi for going to the airport. The manager arranged a taxi. But Sanu Mohan went out in the morning and did not return. Though the staff contacted him over phone, he could not be reached.

With this, they opened his room using duplicate key and found that his luggage was not there. Lodge manager Ajay, a Keralite, contacted a person in Kerala to know about the veracity of the address given by Sanu Mohan. Following this, he came to know that Sanu is an accused in the death of Vaiga.

Sanu Mohan and his daughter Vaiga went missing under mysterious circumstances on March 21. Later, Vaiga’s body was found from Muttar river. In a detailed probe, the police found that Sanu Mohan was accused in economic offences in Maharashtra. They expanded probe to Maharashtra also. As no clue was received, a lookout notice also was issued.