Electricity bill payment to go fully online: KSEB to shut counter services

Palakkad: KSEB is planning to close counters in section offices as part of making electricity bill payment completely online. The KSEB Board has taken steps to close selected counters in the state starting August 17 (Chingam 1). The operation of less crowded counters will be initially stopped and the service of other counters will be discontinued in different phases.

It was also decided to speed up the process of redeploying existing cashier employees to other jobs. For this, an agreement will be reached by discussing with the employees’ union representatives. A senior KSEB official said that the board director has been tasked with discussing the matter with the representatives of the organization.

At present, an online system is active for electricity bill payment, with almost 70 percent of consumers relying on it. The remaining 30 percent of customers with small bills rely on counters operating in section offices. Cashier employees are in charge of the counters.

The last cashier recruitment was done through PSC in 2019. As online bill payment became widespread, counters were cut down, and the number of cashier employees was also reduced.